AccessAbility Day ties in to International Day of People with Disability and aims to create employment opportunities for job seekers with a disability.
AccessAbility Day is an Australian Government initiative which aims to give employers first-hand experience of having a person with disability and promotes an inclusive workforce and a chance to tap into a new pool of capable and talented people.
For job seekers it means they can experience and learn about a new workplace, role or type of employment, and better understand what a particular kind of work entails.
Are you an employer?
AccessAbility Day is a new Australian Government initiative, connecting employers and people with disability for one day. It provides you an opportunity to:
- Access a talent pool of capable people who are keen to work
- Promote an inclusive workplace
- Learn more about working with people with disability
- Find out about Australian Government support available for your business
In Australia in 2015, over one million working-age people with disability were in paid employment, comprising 8.8 per cent of the total Australian workforce. However, this equates to only 53.4 per cent of working age people with disability being in the labour force, compared to 83.2 per cent of people with no disability. Almost one-third of the people with disability who were working part-time wanted to work more hours.
How can you get involved?
To participate in AccessAbility Day just fill in the registration form on the AccessAbility Day website at www.jobaccess.gov.au/accessabilityday
Are you a job seeker wondering why should you get involved?
The aim for AccessAbility Day is to provide you with an opportunity to experience and learn about a new workplace or role, and better understand what a particular kind of work entails. Some of the activities that may take place include:
- Being introduced to staff members
- A tour of the workplace to familiarise you with facilities (i.e. bathroom, kitchen, etc.)
- Learning about the mission and goals of the company
- Talking about your career interests and experiences.
By the end of AccessAbility Day, the goal is for you to have had an enjoyable learning experience, find out more about the business, the role or type of work as well as potentially broadening your professional network and establishing new contacts in the workplace.
How can you get involved?
To participate in AccessAbility Day you must be registered as looking for work with a Disability Employment Services (DES) provider and you need to register your interest to participate in AccessAbility Day by:
- Completing the online registration form on the AccessAbility Day website at www.jobaccess.gov.au/accessabilityday; or
- Through your local participating DES provider, or
- Contact the AccessAbility Day hotline on 1800 464 800. TTY users please phone 1800 555 677 and ask for 1800 464 800.
"I've always been interested in fitness, but I wasn't sure what would be possible for me. Mylestones Employment helped remove the barrier and now I'm in a job I love!" - Hayden, Plus Fitness
Want to learn more? Fill in your details here or call 1300 635 627 today!
Please complete the captcha below