As you may be aware, three new cases of COVID-19 in South East Queensland were announced yesterday. In each of these cases, the persons diagnosed spent significant time in communities in which CPL works.
CPL has recognised that these cases are occurring at a time where there are fewer community restrictions in place and that shopping centres and other community facilities are open, so we have made a series of prompt changes to our services in impacted areas to reduce the risk to our clients and staff.
Some of you may have already been contacted by your local manager. If, after reading the summary of changes below, you have any questions please do not hesitate to call or email your regular contact person.
There are a number of supported independent living sites in Brisbane and Logan where CPL provides supports to clients who are highly vulnerable. At some of these sites, additional measures have been put in place effective immediately until Wednesday 5 August. Measures will vary slightly depending on the site, but may include:
- Restricting all visitors to the site including friends, family and contractors – in this instance, CPL will help people to stay in touch online
- Employees working on site will be restricted from working at any other location for CPL or any other provider
- Employees may be required to wear PPE for the duration of their shift
CPL will continue its existing measures of temperature checks and health declarations for all employees at these sites, as well as all other CPL locations.
If you live in a SIL or have a family member in a SIL, you will be contacted via phone or email about the changes as they relate to you.
Temporary site closures
CPL has made the decision to temporarily close a number of sites in the affected suburbs from Thursday 30 July to Wednesday 5 August inclusive. This closure, which we expect will be short, will enable us to better protect clients and employees while we gain an understanding of the extent of the outbreak.
The affected service centres are:
- CPL (Springfield, Beenleigh, Booval, Moorooka, Mount Gravatt)
- Mylestones Employment (Browns Plains, Woodridge, Ipswich, Yeronga and Beenleigh)
- Mylestones Solutions (Brisbane coffee cart and garden crew)
At each of the above locations, there will be no centre-based programs, therapy or employment support delivered from these sites during the closure. Community Access supports will also be suspended.
If you were to attend one of these sites during this period, you may have already received a call from a CPL team member. If not, you can expect a call shortly. You can discuss other options for online supports and contacts. Cancellation fees will not apply for any clients affected by this change.
Though there have been no known close contacts amongst CPL employees or clients who use these centres, during the closure we will be conducting hygienic cleans of each location.
All CPL clients will still be able to access in-home support. There is no change to this service, however, if you live in an affected area and have concerns, please call your local manager to discuss these.
Please also remember to let CPL or your support worker know before the commencement of the shift if anyone in your household is:
- Generally unwell or showing any symptoms of COVID-19
- Has been told to be tested for COVID-19
- Has undergone testing and is awaiting results
- Is under any other directive to quarantine or self-isolate
- Has travelled interstate recently, particularly to a location that has since been named as a hot spot. If you believe you need to arrange a test for yourself or a family member, and need information or assistance, please speak to your local manager or call 1800 275 753. I understand some of these changes may be difficult and disruptive, or cause you concern but I hope you understand the reasons behind our decisions and our commitment to keeping everyone safe. As the new outbreak develops, we will be in touch to update you on these changes.
In-home therapy delivered from any of the above sites will be suspended until Wednesday 5 August. If you have an appointment booked during this period, you will be contacted by CPL to reschedule.
You may also like to consider receiving your therapy session via Telehealth. The person contacting you will discuss this and other options available to you.
As mentioned above, cancellation fees will not apply for clients impacted by the suspension.
We understand this situation may cause anxiety or concern, and we also strongly encourage you talk to us at any time and to monitor the advice from Queensland Health. They have issued a Public Health Alert detailing the locations the diagnosed persons visited over the past week, which you can find here.
If you visited any of the listed locations, or you begin to show symptoms or feel unwell, please let us know so we can support you to undergo testing and receive the appropriate medical assistance. Like you, we are treating this situation with the critical response it requires, to ensure you remain healthy and safe over the coming weeks and months.
Take care and stay safe.
General Manager, Services
CPL – Choice, Passion, Life