How do I contact the NDIA?
The NDIA can be contacted on 1800 800 110 between 8am and 8pm from Monday to Friday.
They will be able to help with any questions you may have, including registration details, arranging for a nominee to be recorded as an additional contact, and eligibility for NDIS funding.
Our top tip: The 1800 number has a very high call volume and delay times on phone can be very long (up to one hour). To avoid long delays, we find the best time to phone is between 8am and 9am, or after 5pm.
What is a Local Area Coordinator (LAC)?
A Local Area Coordinator (LAC) is a ‘partner’ of the NDIA and conducts planning meetings in the same way as an NDIA planner would.
An LAC would typically conduct meetings for people with less complex needs, whereas a senior NDIA planner may conduct planning meetings for people with very complex needs.
When LACs contact clients, they usually refer to themselves as being NDIA Planners.
What is NDIS Support Coordination?
Support Coordination is an NDIS funded support that is designed to support participants with more complex support needs to make the most of their NDIS funds. Once your plan has been approved, participants work with Support Coordinators to determine how their funds will be spent and connect with providers. Support Coordination is about:
- Facilitating conversations about what is possible with your NDIS funds
- Increasing abilities for choice and control
- Supporting you to navigate the NDIS marketplace and find the most suitable provider for you
What is Plan Management?
Plan Management is an NDIS funded support that is designed to assist and support NDIS participants to manage their NDIS plan funding. Plan Management can support participants by:
- Managing and monitoring a participant’s budget
- Managing a participant’s NDIS claims and disbursing funds to providers for services delivered
- Providing regular statements to a participant to show the financial status of their plan
- Participants can also receive advise about how to best utilise their NDIS funding which can assist in building a participant’s financial capacity and knowledge.
What do all the acronyms mean?
If you are unfamiliar with disability support acronyms like NDIA (National Disability Insurance Agency), NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme), LAC (Local Area Coordinator), this Touchstone article is a great place to start: Understanding Disability Support Acronyms