Supporting students with disabilities
Our therapists, who specialise in working with children with disabilities, can provide teachers with advice, information and support focusing on areas such as:
- Reading and writing
- Communication – including speech and facilitated communication utilising communication books and devices
- Concentration, understanding tasks and following instruction
- Interacting with peers
Specialist Disability Support in Schools (SDSS)
School support for students with disabilities is funded by the SDSS program through the Department of Education and Training. Click here for more info about SDSS.
To make a referral, please download and complete the CPL School Support Request Form below and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in touch with you after this. If you have any issues, please contact us on 1800 275 753.
SDSS Support includes:
- Contribution to the ICP (Individual Curriculum Plan) or ISP (Individual Support Plan) process by providing information, assistance with goal development, attendance at meetings and other necessary input as negotiated.
- Information, advice and training to teachers and therapists at school in relation to funded students (e.g. modifying physical environments, use of equipment, technology and strategies for achieving learning outcomes).
- Provision of written therapy programs for school teams to implement to develop a child’s skills in order to achieve their goals.
- Advice regarding prescription, provision, maintenance and training in the use of specialised equipment in the areas of communication, posture, mobility, learning, daily living and mealtime management, to allow students to participate fully at school.
- Provision of relevant therapy assessments to support school staff with obtaining information regarding student support needs.
Workshops and education for teachers
CPL can provide you with a variety of resources and workshop opportunities to enable you to better understand children with disability and their needs. Our workshops can be set at a time and date to suit you, covering topics such as:
- Using switches to function
- iPad accessibility
- Hands on with Clicker Six
- Visual perception and handwriting